2nd in the UK for Civil Engineering, Guardian University Guide 2022
The School of Civil Engineering is globally renowned for its teaching, research and engagement with industry and government. We’re one of the largest and longest established Civil Engineering schools in the UK with just over 50 staff and 1000 students from over 70 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
Keep up to date with what’s happening in the School by following us on Twitter.
- Top 100 in the world for Engineering, Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- 2nd in the UK for Civil Engineering, Guardian University Guide 2022
- 9th in the UK for Civil Engineering, Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- 9th in the UK for Civil Engineering, Complete University Guide 2022
- 44th in the world for Civil and Structural Engineering, QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- 91% overall student satisfaction for civil engineering, National Student Survey 2021 and ranked 1st in the Russell Group
- 97% overall student satisfaction for architecture, National Student Survey 2020 and ranked 1st in the Russell Group
Athena SWAN Silver award
We have been commended for our strong and continued commitment to gender equality in the form of a prestigious Athena SWAN Silver award. Find out more about our commitment to supporting women in STEM.
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2022
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide
- University of Leeds students are among the top 5 most targeted by top employers according to The Graduate Market 2021, High Fliers Research
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Civil and Construction Engineering
- 3.04 overall quality profile
- 7th in the UK for research quality
- 2nd nationally for research power
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 92% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 85% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 80% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’