Our researchers develop solutions for ever-growing challenges in our society, as projects become more prevalent organisational forms in many industries. Projects are a key vehicle to address the UN Sustainable Development Goals, delivering infrastructure developments across the world.
We are interested in improving the development and delivery of projects with a particular focus on complex infrastructure and megaprojects. We work across a variety of milieu, ranging from project management to industrial engineering and system engineering management. Our expertise can be grouped in the following themes:
- Ethics and sustainability, ranging from illegal and illicit behaviours in infrastructure projects to carbon emissions from construction site activities
- Financing and contracting in infrastructure, energy, nuclear and sanitation
- Governance and organisation of projects and project networks
- Psycho-social and behavioural aspects in projects with a focus on organisational justice, coping strategies and learning and the management of human resources in projects
- Performance and value creation in large and complex infrastructure projects and megaprojects
- Health, safety and wellbeing in construction and infrastructure projects
- Industrial engineering with a focus on energy infrastructure and energy economics: nuclear power plants and Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), decommissioning, cogeneration and energy storage, nuclear law, and real options analysis
- System engineering management with a focus on sanitation infrastructures and complex systems
Through our research, regularly published in leading international peer-reviewed journals, we make a positive impact on businesses, economy and social environment.
The researchers in our group come from an interdisciplinary background and have directly interact with industry professionals and policymakers. Outputs from our work have been used by organisations such as the National Audit Office, the Nuclear Decommissioning Agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, the European Investment Bank, the World Economic Forum and the Infrastructure and Projects Authority.
We have strong links with professional project management organisations such as the Association for Project Management (APM), Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Major Project Association (MPA) and have a presence on a number of their committees and advisory groups.
We have opportunities for postgraduate researchers. Find out more.
If you would like to discuss an area of research in more detail, please contact Dr Christine Unterhitzenberger.