Tribology of novel friction pairs for environmentally friendly automotive brakes
- Start date: 1 October 2018
- End date: 30 September 2023
- Funder: IT-CDT
- Primary investigator: Dr Shahriar Kosarieh
- Co-investigators: Professor David Barton, Dr Peter Brooks
- External co-investigators: Dr Andreas Paulus
- Postgraduate students: Fabian Limmer
E-mobility, autonomous driving and particle emission regulations are the major challenges the brake industry will be facing in the next years. Meeting these challenges will require the use of new brake disc and brake pad materials which means that the tribological system that these two components represent will dramatically change as well.
The first part of the project will consist of studying the underlying Tribology of alternative brake pad and disc materials through newly developed analysis methods. The gained knowledge will then be used to develop a method that will speed up future friction material development.