Dr Shahriar Kosarieh
Dr Shahriar Kosarieh is a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (CEng), skilled researcher and a Lecturer in Mechanical Engneering where he is highly active in the areas of tribology and surface engineering and material science. His primary focus is currently on friction braking systems and the tribological interactions at the friction interfaces in the creation of brake dust and particulates. Alongside his research, he has conducted a number of industrial consultancy projects.
- Tribology Group Committee Member of the Institute of Physics (MInstP)
Dr Kosarieh’s research interests are predominantly in the field of braking systems, surface engineering, tribology and tribochemistry of hard (thin and thick) coatings. His current research employs a mixture of experimental and theoretical techniques to gain a better understanding of interactions between innovative coatings and functional surfaces in the dry and lubricated contacts. His areas of research involve actively using a wide range of materials testing and analytical tools including: bench-type tribometers, nano-indentation, AFM, FTIR, SEM/EDX, XPS, Raman Spectroscopy, etc
- PhD Mechanical Engineering (Tribology)
- MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Mechanical Engineering
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE).
- Member of the Society of Tribologist and Lubrication Engineers (STLE).
- Member of the Institute of Physics (MInstP)
Dr Kosarieh has had the opportunity to teach, supervise and mentor undergraduate and postgraduate students. The modules which he has been involved in lecturing include:
Solid Mechanics (MECH1230)
Engineering Mathematics (MECH1520)
Surface Engineerinhg (MECH5410)
Lubricant and Lubrication (MECH5660)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Design, Robotics and Optimisation
- Institute of Functional Surfaces