Integrated Masters

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="A YouTube media player containing the video ‘Integrated Masters in Engineering at the University of Leeds’" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What is an integrated Masters degree? 

An integrated Masters (MEng) is a four-year degree that extends your three-year undergraduate studies to Masters level. Many students choose to do this due to the greater breadth and depth of study that comes with enhancing their degree. 

Benefits of an integrated Masters 

  • The majority of our UK students undertake a MEng, BEng course as it’s the most direct way of meeting the educational requirements for subsequent registration as a Chartered Engineer.
  • You’ll have the opportunity to take part in a wider range of project work, including exciting individual and team-based projects, typically informed from real-world challenges facing the industry.
  • You’ll develop practical transferable skills such as teamwork, decision-making, delegating, identifying and solving problems, and communication, all of which are attractive to employers. 
  • In a demanding graduate employment market, an integrated Masters degree can enhance your employability by advancing your knowledge and equipping you with sought after professional skills.
  • The MEng, BEng and BEng courses have the same entry requirements.
  • The government offers integrated masters funding in the form of standard student finance. Rather than applying for a postgraduate loan, candidates should apply through the undergraduate student finance platform. 

If you decide during your degree that you no longer wish to undertake the fourth year, that isn't a problem. You have until the middle of the third year to decide whether you wish to graduate after three years with a BEng degree. 

We usually recommend that international students initially apply for a three-year BEng as there might be visa implications if you decide to switch to a three-year course. You can apply to extend your visa to either an integrated Masters or separate Masters from within the UK.