Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology
- Extended submission deadline of initial 1 page abstract for oral presentation: Monday 20 March 2023
- Registration opens: Monday 3 April 2023
- Notification to authors of oral abstract acceptance: Friday 5 May 2023
- Submission of 1 page abstract for poster presentation: Monday 26 June 2023
- Notification to authors of poster abstract acceptance: Wednesday 12 July 2023
- Submission of final 1 page abstract for oral presentation: Monday 24 July 2023
- Submission of paper to chosen journal*: Wednesday 2 August 2023 or by the Symposium dates at the latest
*unless the paper is a Dowson Prize application then the earlier date given below under the Dowson Prize applies.
This prize was launched at the 35th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology in 2008 in honour of the lifetime achievements of Duncan Dowson and to inspire and reward outstanding young tribologists. The prize is awarded to the best paper and presentation by a young tribologist at the Symposium when hosted by Leeds as judged by an independent panel of experts. Entitled the “Dowson Prize” it essentially mirrors the remit of the “Maurice Godet Award” presented when the Symposium is held in Lyon.
The winner will be announced at the closing session of the Symposium on 7 September 2023 and will receive £1000 GBP and a copy of "The History of Tribology" by Duncan Dowson.
The basic criteria are as follows:
- The applicant must be a registered research student or within 3 years of graduation from a research degree.
- The applicant must present the paper at the Symposium, either orally or as a poster.
- The written paper must be submitted to at least one of the three journals (Tribology International, Journal of Engineering Tribology or Tribology — Materials, Surfaces & Interfaces) by Wednesday 5 July 2023.
The applicant must notify the conference organisers by email to firstname.lastname@example.org of their application for the prize by the stated deadline. The email should contain their full name and affiliation, the title of the paper, list of authors and the journal to which it has been submitted.
Deadline for submissions: Wednesday 5 July 2023