- Submission of initial 1 page abstract for oral presentation: Monday 24 February 2020
- Registration opens: Monday 6 April 2020
- Notification to authors of oral abstract acceptance: Wednesday 29 April 2020
- Submission of 1 page abstract for poster presentations: Wednesday 22 June 2020
- Notification to authors of poster abstract acceptance: Wednesday 8 July 2020
- Submission of final 1 page abstract for oral presentations: Monday 20 July 2020
- Submission of paper to chosen journal*: Thursday 30 July 2020
*unless the paper is a Dowson Prize application then the earlier date given below under Dowson Prize applies.
This prize was launched at the 35th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology in 2008 in honor of the lifetime achievements of Duncan Dowson and to inspire and reward outstanding tribologists in the early stages of their careers. The prize is awarded to the best paper and presentation by a registered research student, or someone within three years of graduation from a research degree at the Symposium when hosted by Leeds as judged by a panel selected by the Symposium organisers. Entitled the “Dowson Prize” it essentially mirrors the remit of the “Maurice Godet Award” presented when the Symposium is held in Lyon.
The winner will be announced at the closing session of the Symposium on 10 September 2020 and will receive £1000 GBP and a signed copy of “The History of Tribology” by Duncan Dowson.
The basic criteria are as follows
- The applicant must be a registered research student or within 3 years of graduation from a research degree.
- The applicant must present the paper at the Symposium, either orally or as a poster.
- The written paper must be submitted to at least one of the three journals (Tribology International, Journal of Engineering Tribology or Tribology — Materials, Surfaces & Interfaces) by Wednesday 8 July 2020.
- The applicant must notify the conference organisers by email of their application for the prize by the stated deadline. The email should contain their full name and affiliation, the title of the paper, list of authors and the journal to which it has been submitted.
Deadline for submissions: Wednesday 8 July 2020.