Dr Louise M Jennings
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: bioengineering; biomaterials; biotribology: orthopaedics; cardiovascular
- Email: L.M.Jennings@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2100
- Location: X203 Medical & Biological Engineering School of Mechanical Engineering
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar
Dr Jennings is an Associate Professor of Medical Engineering in the School of Mechanical Engineering. Following a spell in industry Dr Jennings came to Leeds to study for a PhD in cardiovascular bioengineering. Her current research interests now include the area of musculoskeletal interventions in the knee, hip and knee artificial joint replacement and cardiovascular biomechanical function. In all of these areas Dr Jennings’ interests are predominantly experimental, developing functional pre-clinical simulation and research methods that can then be applied to medical devices and interventions.
A Chartered Mechanical Engineer with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Dr Jennings continues to work closely with industry, applying pre-clinical research methods to medical devices in commercial development in order to enhance their safety and reliability, with established collaborations with DePuy Synthes, Vascutek Terumo, Invibio, Mathys Medical, and Biocomposites Ltd. Dr Jennings also works closely with Simulation Solutions to develop the next generation of physical hip and knee joint wear simulators.
Current projects include developing simulation methods that better reflect the wide range of patient and surgical variables that are observed clinically, in order to enhance the safety and reliability of joint replacements; and developing experimental simulation methods for earlier musculoskeletal interventions in the knee and patella.
Dr Jennings chairs the ISO sub-committee for Bone and Joint Replacements and is convenor of the ‘Wear’ working group, progressing international standards from conception through to publication.
- iMBE Laboratory Director
- Chair of ISO TC150/SC4 Bone and Joint Replacements
- School of Mechanical Engineering Equipment Champion and Athena Swann Champion
To find out more about the Insitute of Medical & Biological Engineering's research visit imbe.leeds.ac.uk
- PhD, Medical Engineering (Leeds)
- MEng (Hons) First Class (Sussex)
- C.Eng. , M.IMech.E.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering