MEng or BSc?

Students at a computing expo

An Integrated Masters (MEng, BSc or MSci, BSc for the Computer Science and Mathematics course) is a four-year degree that extends your studies to Masters level. It’s the highest award for undergraduate studies in computing in the UK.

Benefits of an Integrated Masters

There are several benefits if you opt to take the Integrated Masters:

  • Chartered IT Professional: On courses which are accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS), The Integrated Masters (MEng, BSc) degree satisfies the educational requirement to becoming a Chartered IT Professional (CITP). You will also have exemption from the Engineering Council professional examinations, the first step towards becoming a chartered engineer.
  • Greater breadth and depth of study: you’ll have the opportunity to be involved on a wider range of project work, including exciting individual and team-based projects, typically with industrial involvement.
  • Enhanced employability: you’ll develop practical transferable skills such: as team-working; decision-making; delegating; identifying and solving problems; and communications skills.
  • Higher salaries: Integrated Masters graduates typically command higher salaries than those who leave with a BSc degree.

Advice for International students

If you want to apply for an integrated 4 year Masters (MEng) programme then please note that any decision to leave early and graduate with a BSc will have visa implications as you will be considered an ‘early completer’ by the UKVI. We usually recommend that students initially apply for a 3 year BSc programme with us, so that you can make a decision about whether to stay on for a Masters level programme when you have had some time on the course. You can apply to extend your visa to either an integrated Masters (MEng) or separate Masters (MSc) from within the UK. Please contact the Admissions team for further information.


Q: What happens if I decide during my studies I no longer wish to undertake the fourth MEng year of the course?
A: You have until the middle of the third year to decide whether you wish to graduate after three years with a BSc honours degree. Some students decide to graduate with a BSc because they’ve decided to study a specialist one-year MSc postgraduate degree course or a research degree in the form of a PhD.

Q: Is it possible to apply directly for a three year BSc course?
A: If you’re sure from the start that you only want to study for three years, for example if you’re an international student, you can apply directly for a BSc degree course. The BSc degree course is identical to the first three years of the MEng, BSc course.

Q: Does the BEng have lower entry requirements than the MEng?
A: No, the MEng, BSc and BSc course have the same entry requirements.