Dr Marlène Mengoni
- Position: Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: non-linear finite element method; compuational biomechanics; musculoskeletal tissues; constitutive modelling
- Email: M.Mengoni@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5011
- Location: X104a Medical & Biological Engineering School of Mechanical Engineering
- Website: My Personal Site | my GitHub pages | Twitter | Googlescholar
After a PhD (2012, University of Liège, BE) dealing with computer modelling of orthodontic tooth movement, Dr Mengoni joined the institute of Medical and Biological Engineering in 2013 as a Research Fellow and applied her expertise in natural tissues modelling to the characterisation of the non-linear micromechanics of the intervertebral disc. Her work on the disc has been recognised internationally, being nominated as finalist of the Clinical Biomechanics award of the ESB in 2014. Marlène joined the academic staff of the School of Mechanical Engineering in 2015 as a School Research Fellow then as a Lecturer. She is a member of the board of the VPHi UK-chapter.
- Library Rep
Dr Marlène Mengoni is a member of the Insitute of Medical & Biological Engineering (to find out more about the insitute’ research visit imbe.leeds.ac.uk).
Dr Mengoni is interested in theoretical aspects of musculoskeletal tissues biomechanics with a fundamental computational engineering approach.
Her focus is on understanding and modelling tissues behaviour, specifically the prediction of occurrence and propagation of damage due to clinical interventions in view of possible optimisation of these interventions. She currently works mainly on intervertebral disc but is collaborating on projects dealing with hips (natural tissues and interaction between implant and bone), ankles, knees.
Dr Mengoni has built collaborations in the UK with the Universities of Sheffield and Manchester, in Europe with the University of Liège (BE), KULeuven (BE), ETH Zurich (CH), U. Zaragoza (SP), and with the University of Auckland (NZ).
Dr Mengoni has also developed public engagement activities presenting 3D imaging and modelling within a touch-screen app. This work was supported by a ISSF Wellcome Trust award in 2013<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Engineering (2012)
- MRes Biomedical Engineering (2005)
- BSc+MSc Engineering in Physics (2004)
- HEA (Fellow)
- VPH insitiute (Member and UK-chapter board member)
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering
- Centre for Computational Engineering