Dr Jiannis Pachos
- Position: Reader
- Areas of expertise: topological quantum computation; condensed matter; quantum field theory; cold atoms and optical lattices.
- Email: J.K.Pachos@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3817
- Location: 9.71 Stoner Building
- Website: Personal home page | Leeds Centre for Topological Quantum Information
I mainly work on various aspects of topological quantum systems, including topological quantum computation, characterisation of topological insulators and their implementation with cold atoms. Recently I became interested in characterising strong correlations in many-body systems.
- Theoretical Physics Program Manager
- Disability Contact
My current research interest is in the area of topological quantum computation and topological insulators.
Topological quantum computation utilises anyons, quasiparticles with exotic statistics, to perform quantum computation. This approach promises to successfully overcome the main problem in the implementation of quantum computation, namely environmental errors. Recent experimental advances demonstrated the existence of Abelian and non-Abelian anyons opening the way for the actual implementation of topological quantum computation.
I am also interested in topological insulators. In particular, I investigate new Hamiltonians of 2+1 and 3+1 dimensional systems that can be implemented with cold atoms in optical lattices. A central aspect is the unambiguous identification of the topological properties. I am also interested in the connection of quantum field theoretic models with the low energy of lattice models that can be implemented with cold atoms.
- PhD from University of Durham
- Bachelor from University of Athens
Module leader for Advanced Quantum Mechanics.
Module leader for Maths 3.
Module leader for Communicating Physics.