Professor Harvey Thompson
- Position: Professor of Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Areas of expertise: My research is focusses on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Machine Learning & Design Optimisation methods for energy-efficient products and processes.
- Email: H.M.Thompson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2136
- Location: 3.30 School of Mechanical Engineering
- Website: LinkedIn | White Rose
I have taught and led a range of Mechanical Engineering modules including Engineering Mathematics, Engineering Mechanics, Racecar Chassis Engineering, and Microfluidics and I am currently teaching modules on Aerodynamics, Design Optimisation and Engineering Computational Methods. I have previously been Director of Learning & Teaching (2006-2009), Director of Research & Innovation (2012-2016) and Head of School (2016-2021) within the School of Mechanical Engineering at Leeds.
My research is focusses on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, Machine Learning & Design Optimisation methods for energy-efficient products and processes and I have published more than 100 peer-reviewed journal articles in these areas. Recent examples include:
- Microfluidic Flows for Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) diagnostic systems
- Liquid and cryogenic machining systems
- Multi-disciplinary Design Optimisation of engine/electronics cooling systems
- Physics-based corrosion modelling
with leading international companies, universities and research institutes (e.g. Rolls Royce, Sandvik, Parker Hannifin; Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre AMRC); Technische Universität München).
I have graduated 46 PhD students and am currently supervising 8 PhD students and have recently started working on EPSRC-funded projects on “New minimally-invasive technologies for the treatment of pancreatic cancer” and “Machining the Future with Supercritical CO2 and Minimum Quantity Lubrication”.
My recent Enterprise and Knowledge Transfer activities include: Invited lecturer on AIMCAL European Coating Schools on Industrial Coating and Drying; Development of Super Impactor Crankcase Ventilator for diesel droplet filtration with Parker Hannifin – winner of Grand Prix and Green Product of the Year prizes at the 2012 British Engineering Excellence Awards; 2013 Green Enterprise IT Award for Facility Product Deployment (with Iceotope Ltd). I have also written Impact Case Studies on my flow modelling research for the last two Research Excellence Framework Exercises (REF2014 and REF2020).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MA, Cantab, PhD, Leeds
- CEng, FIMechE. FRSS, Fellow. Higher Education Academy.
Fluid Mechanics, Aerodynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Engineering Mathematics, Mechanics, Engineering Computational Methods and Design Optimisation.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Thermofluids
Current postgraduate researchers
- Thomas C. Sykes
- Foteini Zagklavara
- Hazim Hamad
- Muyassar Edris Ismaeel
- Marwaan AL khafaji
- Ahmed Mahmood