- Start date: 9 November 2023
- End date: 10 November 2023
- Duration: Two days
- Fees: TBC
- Venue: Midland Medical Services, Tipton, West Midlands
About the course
The Pharmaceutical Medical Gas Testing refresher and reassessment course has been developed by NHS TSET (the Technical Specialist Education and Training group) and is facilitated by the University of Leeds.
For more information about TSET visit https://www.tset.org.uk
About the course
This two-day refresher and reassessment programme is specifically designed for you if you’re required to take the formal assessment of competency required under HTM02 every five years. The aim is to give an opportunity for QC (MGPS) personnel to be aware of developments and best practice and to enhance personal skills.
Who should attend?
This course will be suitable for pharmacists and other health professionals with experience and responsibilities for, or an interest in, medical gas testing. This course is of particular importance to those who require the formal assessment of competency under the HTM02 every five years. The aim is to give an opportunity for QC (MPGS) personnel to be aware of developments and best practice.
09:00 Registration and coffee
- Introduction to course
- Work of the Medical Gas Group – policy changes and new documents
- New and current expectations of QC (MGPS) including mentoring
- Official updates (alerts and guidance documents) and recent developments
- Interactive Session - Incidents from my QC(MGPS) work
- Pre-course task resolution - discussion and feedback
- Introduction and explanation of workshops
- Workshop sessions:
- Advanced skills in: Management of an oxygen line shutdown (exercise)
- Advanced skills in: Back-feed kit use, plus intro to MGPS 1000
- Advanced skills in: Commissioning a new VIE and associated plant
17:00 End of day one
19:00 Course dinner
- General Updates - developments and equipment, introduction to equipment companies
- Introduction to Assessment
- Issues with line pressures and understanding of roles
- Nitrous Oxide – Environmental impact and effect on medical use and manifolds/pipelines
- Experiences and lessons from the COVID-19 war?
- The role of the chief pharmacist in medical gases
- Assessment feedback – practical and theory
- Question and answers session
15:15 Close of course and issue of certificates
Please note, it is important you to plan your return travel to enable you to attend the whole course.
* Please note, the reassessment process is of the delegate’s general knowledge of Medical Gas Testing, not necessarily of the knowledge gained during this two-day course. This is to assure ongoing competence of those retained on the QC(MGPS) register under HTM 02-01.
** As part of the formal assessment of competency, you will be sent a pre-course task/scenario to complete to see how you would test etc. This will be sent out four weeks before the course and you should bring it with you to the course as part of the mandatory assessment.
Theresa Hughes - QC (MGPS), MGTS Limited
Tim Sizer, Director of NHS TSET Healthcare CPD
Richard Skidmore, Barts Health NHS Trust
Andrew Sully, Cardiff & Vale University Health Board
Richard Sutherland, Medical Gas Testing Services Limited
The 2022 course is now fully booked, if you would like to be added to the mailing list to receive details of the 2023 course please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees are VAT exempt
cost of tuition
Course dinner on Thursday evening
The course will be held at Midland Medical Services Ltd, Unit 8, Cleton Street Business Park, Cleton Street, Tipton, West Midlands, DY4 7TR. Directions to the venue will be included within the delegate joining instructions.
Please note, delegates are responsible for making their own way to the course venue each day and for booking their own accommodation if required.
You’re responsible for booking your own nearby accommodation if required and we can provide a list of hotels close to the course venue.
Please email Jasper Minton-Taylor for the local hotel details.
What our delegates say
"A very informative, practical and assessment course. Highly recommended as an update for QCMGPS"
"Essential up-date for equipment and techniques in MGPS and an ideal opportunity for networking"
CPD Conference and Events Unit
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences
3.11 School of Chemical and Process Engineering
University of Leeds,
T: 0113 343 2494