Top ten in the UK for Computer Science, Complete University Guide 2021
In 1957, the University of Leeds was one of the first universities in the UK to buy a computer. This was a revolutionary development in university science and engineering, and the springboard for academic computer science in the university. Today, the School of Computing has a global reputation for its teaching and research with over 1500 students from over 55 countries studying with us.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research, which means you will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.
- Top ten in the UK for Computer Science, Complete University Guide 2021
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2021
- Leeds achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide
- The latest High Fliers report, The Graduate Market in 2020, has ranked Leeds in the top 10 most targeted universities in the UK by graduate recruiters
- We are a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Computer Science and Informatics
- 3.17 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 86% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 77.9% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent.
Keep up to date with what’s happening in the School by following us on Twitter.