Professor Richard M Hall
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: biomechanics; medical engineering; medical devices; biotribology; spine; hip, pre-clinical testing. surgical oncology, bone metastases.
- Email: R.M.Hall@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2132
- Location: 432 School of Mechanical Engineering
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
Professor Hall has an undergraduate degree in Physics from the University of Leeds and was awarded a PhD from the University of Lancaster. He rejoined the University of Leeds as a jointly appointed Lecturer in the Schools of Mechanical Engineering and Medicine. His appointment is now solely within the School of Mechanical Engineering. The appointment to Professor was made in 2006. Richard is a member of the Institute of Physics and a Chartered Physicist.
- PI: BioTrib and OncoEng
- Chair: University Committee on Studentships, Scholarships and Prizes
- International Lead (Mechanical Engineering)
Richard’s interests are related to the spine and/or joint arthroplasty, that is replacement of the total or partial joint. Increasingly, alternative strategies are being used in arthroplasty to augment natural tissues in an attempt to delay the replacement procedure. As well as investigating new types of interventions, he is an advocate of the development of new testing methodologies that allow more realistic testing of the proposed intervention akin to how the device will be used in the real world. In pursuit of thee goals, he has accrued funding from the EU, UKRI/EPSRC and NIH (USA) as well as a nmber of smaller funders including charities. He has co-ordinated a number of research projects involving international collaborators namely those in Sweden, Switzerland, and Australia amonst others. Current projects include:
- Oncological Engineering (Principal Investigator: EPSRC funded programme grant)
- BioTrib (Coordinator (Principal Investigator): EU funded European Training Network)
- Nu-Spine (Co-investigator: EU funded European Training Network)
Richard previously was the Coordinator (Principal Investigator) for LifeLongJoints, a €18.3M EU funded activity for new technologies in joint replacement.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, Lancaster
- BSc (Hons) Physics, Leeds
- Member of the Instutite of Physics
I teach on modules concerned with medical engineering as well as supervising projects at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
I have a keen interest in postgraduate provision in my previous capacity as the Director of PGR studies for the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences and through my current and past experience of delivering European Training Networks (SpineFX, Nu-Spine and Biotrib). I sit on the University’s Graduate Board.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Thermofluids
Current postgraduate researchers
- Elizabeth Young
- Faizal Kamarol Zaman
- Beril Saadet Yenigul
- Pedro Luiz Lima dos Santos