Dr Vasilis Sarhosis
- Position: Associate Professor in Structural Engineering
- Areas of expertise: Masonry; Ageing Infrastructure; Computational Mechanics; Remote Sensing; Structural Inspection; Digital Twin, Cultural Heritage
- Email: V.Sarhosis@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9343
- Location: 4.09 Civil Engineering
- Website: | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
Dr Vasilis Sarhosis is an Associate Professor in Structural Engineering at the School of Civil Engineering, University of Leeds and a Visiting Researcher at Newcastle University. Previously, he was a Lecturer in Infrastructure Engineering at the School of Engineering, Newcastle University (2016-2019), a Research Associate at the School of Engineering at Cardiff University (2013-2016) and a Research Fellow at the Institute for Resilient Infrastructure at University of Leeds (2011-2013). He holds both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Leeds, and worked as a consultant Civil Engineer in UK. Dr Sarhosis is a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering (FIMEchE) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) in UK. He is currently chairing the National Scientific Committee on the Analysis and Restoration of Structures of Architectural Heritage (ISCARSAH) which is part of the ICOMOS. He has published more than 80 peer reviewed journal manuscripts and has a h-index of 18 (Scopus), with his research cited more than 1,000 times.
- International Lead (IL)
My research focuses on understanding the long-term behaviour of masonry infrastructure subjected to natural and man-made hazards. I work together with industry and develop technologies and tools to reduce maintenance demands and improve the life-span of old and deteriorated masonry infrastructure. More specifically, in my reserach group, the following areas are investigating:
- inspection, monitoring and condition appraisal of masonry infrastructure;
- structural assessment of masonry infrastructure; and
- maintenance, repair and rehabilitation of masonry infrastructure.
- EPSRC (EP/T001305/1). "Exploiting the resilience of masonry arch bridge infrastructure: A 3D multiil-level modelling framework" (2019 - 2022). Value £1,823,900 Co-I.
- RFCS European Commission (RG CIVE118207), "Coal to liquids supply chain integration in view of operational, economic and environmental risk assessments under complex geoloical settings" (2019 - 2022). Value €3,218,300 Co-I (Leeds PI).
- British Academy, GCRF, Cities and Infrastructure Programme. Reducing Disaster to Life and Livelihoods by Evaluating the Seismic Safety of Kathmandu's Historic Urban Infrastructure (2017-2019) Value £300,000 Co-I
- EPSRC Global Challenge Research Fund: Disaster Risk Reduction of Heritage Structures in Nepal (2016-2017). Value £19,700 Co-I.
- EPSRC CASE Studentship AWARD (CASE/179/65/82) "Assessment of masonry arch bridges subjected to flooding" (2016 - 2019). Value £72,214 PI.
Scientific and Technical Committee Member
- Chair of the National Scientific Committee on Structural Analysis and Restoration of Structures of Architectural Heritage (ISCARSAH) in UK.
- Executive Committee Member of ICOMOS: International Council on Monuments and Sites.
- Committee Member of ICOMOS Digital Technology Heritage.
- Technical Committee Member of the RILEM group CSM - Composites for sustainable Strengthening of Masonry.
Participation in Funding Research Bodies
- Reviewer of EPSRC grants.
- Full College Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (since 10/2020).
- Reviewer for Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
External Examinations of PhDs
- Heriot-Watt University (1), Newcastle Univeristy (1), University of Bologna (1), Politecnico di Milano (2), University of Turin (1), Bristol University (1), UCL (1)
Special Issues and Workshops Organised
- Bagi K. Lemos J.V., Sarhosis V. (2019). Discrete element modelling of masonry structures, CMN2019 – Congress on Numerical Methods in Engineering, Portugal.
- Xiao W., Sarhosis V. (2017). Workshop on the Geospatial and Geotechnical Applications on Disaster Risk Reduction of Heritage Structures, Geomatics Engineering Society, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2016.
- Sarhosis V., Xiao W. (2017).Workshop on the Assessment of historic masonry structures in Nepal. Department of Archeology, Government of Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2016.
- Sarhosis V & Bagi K, Bicanic N. (2016). NMMS - Numerical Modelling of Masonry Structures, at the 8th International Congress of Croatian Society of Mechanics, Opatija, Croatia.
- Sarhosis V. (2015). Advances in Masonry Materials and Structures: Experimental & Numerical Modelling Aspects .The Open Construction and Building Technology Journal (HT-BO-TOBCTJ-0006).
- Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education for work of outstanding excellence, as a member of the Geo-environmental Research Centre, Cardiff University, December 2013.
- First price award. Commercialisation of Research: Project sDNA, Research Innovation and Enterprise Award, Cardiff University, April 2014.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Masonry Research and Innovation, ISSN: 2056-9467 (online), Interscience Publishers.
- Guest Editor, Advances in mechanics of masonry structures. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE. ISSN (online): 1943-7889
Editorial Board Member
- Editorial Board Member, Open Construction and Building Technology Journal (OCBTJ), ISSN: 1874-8368 (Online) , Bentham Publishers.
- Editorial Board Member, Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, Taylor and Francis Group. ISSN: 2378-9689 (Print), 2378-9697 (Online) http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/tsri20
- Editorial Board Member, Frontiers in Earthquake Engineering, Frontiers. Earthquake Engineering.
- Editorial Board Member of Computational Methods in Structural Engineering, Frontiers in Built Environment.
- Engineering Structures (Elsevier).
- Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier).
- Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering (Springer)
- Computers and Structures (Elsevier).
- Journal of Structures and Infrastructure Engineering (Taylor and Francis)
- International Journal of Architectural Heritage (Taylor and Francis).
- Journal of Sustainable Mining (Central Mining Institute, Poland).
- Oil & Gas Science and Technology (IFP Energies Nouvelles).
- Ph.D Computational modelling of low bond strength masonry, University of Leeds (2012)
- MSc Sustainable Waste Management, University of Leeds (2006)
- MSc Infrastructure Asset Maintenance and Management, University of Leeds (2004)
- BEng Civil Engineering, University of Leeds (2003)
- Fellow Chartered Engineer (FIMECHE), Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), UK, No. 80317045.
- Associate Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE, No. 9924132.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). Recognition reference number: PR120205.
- Member of the Association of Civil Engineer, Technical Chamber of Greece (TEE), No. 114420.
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), UK, No. 60196357.
- Member of the International Masonry Society (IMS).
My vision for teaching is to promote lifelong learning environment, empower students' potential, expand their boundaries of knowledge and produce graduates with experience, skills and ability to innovate and tackle local and global challenges.I have a commitment to teaching, learning and the student experience, through engagement in a practical process that encourages research, reflection and development.
- Structural Design 2 – Design of Masonry and Timber Structures (20 credits)
- Bridge Engineering (15 credits)
- Monitoring and Maintenance of Infrastructure (15 credits)
- Structural Engineering Dissertation (60 credits)
Research groups and institutes
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Centre for Computational Engineering
- Institute of Robotics, Autonomous Systems and Sensing
- Materials and Structures