10th in the UK for Chemistry – Guardian league tables 2020
The School of Chemistry is a major UK chemistry department conducting research and teaching in chemical science, with more than 70 years of history. We have just over 700 students from over 25 countries studying with us.
- 10th in the UK for Chemistry - Guardian league tables 2020
- 86% overall student satisfaction score in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2019
- 96% of our recent Chemistry graduates are employed or in further study within six months of graduating (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016/17).
- Ranked #101-125 in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings Physical Sciences subject ranking
- Top 150 university for Natural Sciences – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- 92% of our recent Natural Sciences graduates are employed or in further study within six months of graduating (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016/17).
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities in the new QS World University Rankings 2020.
- The University of Leeds achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), the highest award possible.
- We were named University of the Year 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Chemistry
- 3.18 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 95% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 92.8% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, our students will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields.