Prof Mike Ries
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: ionic liquid; cellulose; NMR; MRI; polymer; soft matter.
- Email: M.E.Ries@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3859
- Location: 9.58 EC Stoner
- Website: NMR facilities home page
My research focuses on the use of NMR to determine microscopic properties of soft matter systems and then linking these to their macroscopic properties.
My research focuses on the use of NMR to determine microscopic properties of soft matter systems and then linking these to their macroscopic properties. I am involved in both theoretical and experimental work. My research areas are:
- Cellulose in ionic liquids and ionic liquid blends.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of cartilage.
- Orientation and dynamics in polymer networks, network blends and interpenetrating polymer networks, filler particles; crosslink densities, screening lengths and correlation times.
- Structure and dynamics of miscible polymer melt blends; local friction coefficient and entanglement length as a function of composition.
- Rouse and reptation parameters of linear monodisperse polymer melts; Kuhn length, Rouse times and ideal glass transition temperature.
- Polymer electrolytes; the effect of salt on dynamics and structure of polymer matrix.
Research groups and institutes
- Physics Education
Current postgraduate researchers
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/445-all-natural-composites">All Natural Composites</a></li>