Dr Andrew Ross
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Bioenergy; algal biotechnology; waste management; waste to energy; nutrient recovery; characterisation and analytical sciences; thermochemical and biological processing of biomass.
- Email: A.B.Ross@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1017
- Location: 235 SCAPE Building
- Website: | Googlescholar
Dr Andrew Ross joined the University of Leeds in1997 and is currently an Associate Professor in Energy and Resource Recovery within the School of Chemical and Process Engineering (SCAPE). He is currently the International lead for SCAPE and Group leader of the Waste Management and Resource Recovery group. He has a BSc in Applied and Analytical Chemistry (1st Class) from Staffordshire University and a P.h.D. in Fuel Technology (Staffordshire University). Areas of expertise include conversion of biomass and waste into bioenergy and bio-products, integration of thermochemical and biological processing, industrial biotechnology and analytical chemistry. He has co-authored over 100 papers (h-index 45) and 2 book chapters.
He is currently PI of the BEFWAM project: Bioenergy, Fertiliser and Clean water from Invasive aquatic macrophytes funded by GCRF (BB/S011439/1), Co-PI of a Newton Bhabha (BBSRC) project (“Bio-integrated Valorisation of India's Municipal Solid Waste to Renewable Feedstocks” TS/R017204/1), Co-I of (i) a Royal Society DfiD Capacity building project in Africa and (ii) an EPSRC “Rural electrification through decentralized, community-level micro-utilities” and Co-I of an EPSRC funded project “Tailored Production and Utilisation of Sustainable Low-Cost Lignocellulosic Advanced Biofuel Blends as Diesel and Petrol Substitutes: SusLABB ( EP/T033088/1).
- Group leader in Waste Management and Resource Recovery
- Conversion of biomass and wet wastes into bioenergy and bioproducts
- Integration of thermochemical and Biological conversion of waste
- Algal Biotechnology (macroalgae and microalgae)
- Hydrothermal conversion of biomass and wastes
- Invasive Aquatic macrophytes
- Energy and Nutrient cycling
- Anaerobic digestion
- Analytical Sciences
- Tailored Production and Utilisation of Sustainable Low Cost Lignocellulosic Advanced Biofuel Blends as Diesel and Petrol Substitutes: SusLABB
- PhD Staffordshire University
- BSc (hons) Staffordshire University
- Post graduate certificate in learning and teaching in higher education
Contribute to teaching on Chemical Engineering undergraduate programs and MSC programs in SCAPE. Topics specialism include areas of sustainable energy, fuel technology, process engineering, analytical sciences, and pollution control. Additional responsibilities include supervision of MEng Design projects, and final year research projects in MEng Chemical and Energy program, and MSc Energy and Environment. I am also currently acting study abroad coordinator and International lead for SCAPE.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Integrated Energy Research
- Clean Combustion
- Energy Leeds
- Industrial Biotechnology and Bio-waste
- Sustainable Low Carbon Futures