Dr Philippa Shepley
- Position: Experimental Officer
- Areas of expertise: magnetism; ferroelectric materials; piezoelectric materials; thin film deposition
- Email: P.M.Shepley@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 8.214 Physics Research Deck
- Website: Condensed Matter Leeds | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am the experimental officer for the Royce Deposition System, which is a multi-technique facility for thin film growth based in the Condensed Matter group.
My background is in thin film growth and in characterisation of magnetic, ferroelectric and piezoelectric properties of materials. I came to Leeds to do a PhD in condensed matter physics (Thesis: Effect of piezoelectric strain on the magnetic properties of Pt/Co thin films.). I worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the School of Physics and Astronomy and in the School of Chemical Engineering before taking my current post as an experimental officer.
As well as doing research I have had some great opportunities to communicate with the public about science. I have been involved with running the Pint of Science fesitival in Leeds and a given talks at PubhD, Pint of Science and Soapbox Science.
- Experimental Officer for the Royce Deposition System
My research has covered magnetic and ferroelectric materials, particularly in thin film form. I’m interested in understanding the nanoscale behaviour of materials that drive their properties, so that we can make better use of materials in devices such as magnetic data storage.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Condensed Matter Physics (University of Leeds)
- MPhys Physics (University of Liverpool)
- Institute of Physics