Ranked Gold in the latest Teaching Excellence Framework.
The School of Mathematics is globally renowned for its teaching, research and engagement with industry and government, with over 140 staff and 1,200 students from over 45 countries studying with us.
- 95% of our recent graduates are employed or in further study within six months of graduating (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016/17)
- Top 200 university for Mathematics – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities in the new QS World University Rankings 2021
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, the highest award possible
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Top 10 in the UK for Mathematics for the quality of our research
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Mathematical Sciences
- 3.21 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 86.7% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 85% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 81.3% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
The quality of our research and the funding it attracts means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, our students will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields.