Dr Mike Raxworthy
- Position: Associate Professor in Engineering Management and Innovation
- Areas of expertise: Medical Technology; biomedical engineering; translation; innovation; entrepreneurship; appropriate MedTech for LMICs; industry-ready graduates.
- Email: M.J.Raxworthy@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8775
- Website: Neotherix | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am Associate Professor in Engineering Managment and Innovation and bring sector expertise in medical technologies (MedTech) to this role. By background, I am a biomedical scientist and hold a PhD from the University of Leeds as well an MBA from Warwick Business School. I have over 30 years’ experience leading R&D in the medical device and pharmaceutical industries and am the founder and CEO of Neotherix, a MedTech company based in York focussing on bioresorbable regenerative scaffolds for tissue repair. I combine Neotherix responsibilities with those of this Associate Professor post.
I was a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor in Medical Technology Innovation and Translation at the University of Leeds from 2015-2018 with this role subsequently adopted by the University of Leeds until my present appointment in 2021. I was previously a member of the Medical Technologies Innovation and Knowledge Centre (IKC) team where I was Operations Director of Regener8 (the UK Regenerative Devices Community) from 2009 – 2021.
- Tutor, MSc Engineering Management and Innovation
- Module Leader, MedTech Futures
My background has provided an understanding of the workings of large and micro companies as well as extensive experience of the public sector. I have a strong interest in entrepreneurship and the innovation process and in selecting and developing the most promising ideas and concepts using appropriate decision criteria. I have recently been able to apply this interest to sustainable development and specifically the translation of MedTech in low-resource settings in projects supported by GCRF and the Royal Academy of Engineering.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- BSc Applied Biology (CNAA)
- PhD Biochemical Pharmacology (Leeds)
- MBA (Warwick Business School)
- BioMedEng Association
- European Tissue Repair Society
I presently teach on the online Engineering Management MSc course and on a number of biomedical engineering related modules, including Biomedical Engineering Design and the MedTech Futures discovery module. The latter is also available as a MOOC..
During the time I was a RAEng Visiting Professor, I developed the MedTech BEST (Business and Entrepreneurial Skills Training) short course. This has now been run in a number of formats and settings.