Dr. Noorhan Abbas
- Position: Research & Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: AI Artificial Intelligence Language Computing, Data Science, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Educational Chatbots, Policing.
- Email: N.H.Abbas@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0084
- Website: AI4EduRes | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
I am actively engaged in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Data Mining, and Text Analytics, serving as an educator and researcher at the University of Leeds within the School of Computing. Within this capacity, I hold the role of module leader for the Programming for Data Science module within the online distance learning Artificial Intelligence MSc programme.
In addition to my academic responsibilities, I have contributed to the Edubots project, an Erasmus+ Knowledge Alliance initiative aimed at enhancing educational outcomes and raising attainment levels within European higher education institutions. This project's primary focus centred on the exploration of best practices and innovative applications of chatbot technology, fostering a collaborative learning community among educators.
My professional background includes the successful organization of conferences and workshops, including two conferences for the Edubots project. Notably, in 2023, I orchestrated the Turing Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, and Text Analytics for Education Resources workshop (AI4EduRes). Comprehensive resources, such as video recordings and PowerPoint slides from the AI4EduRes workshop, are available for reference here.
Furthermore, I am an active member of the LIDA Leeds Institute for Data Analytics (LIDA) and the AI research group, contributing to collaborative efforts in advancing research and knowledge in these domains
Alan Turing Institute – 2022 Post-Doctoral Enrichment Award - 2022PEA\100083<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Technology and Policing, Lancaster University.
- MSc in AI and Text Analytics, University of Leeds.
- BSc in Computer Science and Business Administration. American University in Cairo.
“I like the Monday live meeting. It brought more interactions with students and the teacher. The teacher Noorhan is very responsible and always responsive. I am impressed by her energy and patience. I feel thankful!”
”In Data Science, you can lean heavily on Noorhan. She’s the heart and soul of the module. She makes the content very enjoyable and prepares you well for the assessments and projects even if you’re having difficulties.”
“I just wanted to thank you for the time and passion that you put into the teaching for the Data Science module, which I very much enjoyed. I particularly appreciated the added insights that you provided during the webinars on the wider issues.”
“As I was trying to get foothold of the situation, the instructor lend her hand to keep me afloat. She was very encouraging and spend time to answer all my question. Dr. Noorhan had never said that the time was running out. Because of her knowledge and patience, the picture started to get clearer. By third week, I felt confident. At the end of the module, while doing the assessment 2, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I had learned. Now that I have submitted deliverables for the final assessment, I feel proud that I reached a milestone, a feeling of achievement.”
Research MSc Students
- Jarrad Jinks – Intermediate Task Ensembline for Sarcasm Detection – Awarded Best Student Paper Award in the BCS-SGAI International Conference on AI 2023
- Cameron Flanagan – Sentiment analysis of COVID 19 Vaccine Brands over the course of the pandemic
- Abhishek Gurumadhva – Creating A Teaching Assistant By Classifying Texts To Make Internet Recommendations
- Umar Jamil – BigLip: a pipeline for building data sets for lip-reading models
- Uttam Paul – Demand forecasting model to address liquor sales volatility during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Waleed Kareem – Fighting Lies with Intelligence: Using Large Language Models and Chain of Thoughts technique to Combat Fake News
- Cassandra Mingjie Zhou – Evaluation of Legal Judgement Prediction Models and Their Fairness
- Dylan Turnley – Sense Memory