Dr. Noorhan Abbas
- Position: Research & Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: AI Artificial Intelligence Language Computing, Data Science, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Natural Language Processing, Educational Chatbots, Policing.
- Email: N.H.Abbas@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0084
- Website: AI4EduRes | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
I teach and research in Artificial Intelligence, Python for Data Science, Data Science, Data Mining and Text Analytics, in the School of Computing at University of Leeds. I worked in the Edubots project which is an Erasmus+ Knowledge Alliance project that aims to improve results and raise attainment levels in European higher education institutions. This project focussed on exploring best practices and innovative use of chatbots, and creating a learning community of educators.
I have experience in organising conferences and workshops. I organised two conferences for the Edubots project. In 2023, I organised The Turing Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Text Analytics for Education Resources workshop (AI4EduRes). All the video recordings and PowerPoint slides for the AI4EduRes workshop could be found here. I am also a member of the LIDA Leeds Institute for Data Analytics.
Alan Turing Institute – 2022 Post-Doctoral Enrichment Award - 2022PEA\100083<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Technology and Policing, Lancaster University.
- MSc in AI and Text Analytics, University of Leeds.
- BSc in Computer Science and Business Administration. American University in Cairo.
“I like the Monday live meeting. It brought more interactions with students and the teacher. The teacher Noorhan is very responsible and always responsive. I am impressed by her energy and patience. I feel thankful!”
”In Data Science, you can lean heavily on Noorhan. She’s the heart and soul of the module. She makes the content very enjoyable and prepares you well for the assessments and projects even if you’re having difficulties.”
“I just wanted to thank you for the time and passion that you put into the teaching for the Data Science module, which I very much enjoyed. I particularly appreciated the added insights that you provided during the webinars on the wider issues.”
“As I was trying to get foothold of the situation, the instructor lend her hand to keep me afloat. She was very encouraging and spend time to answer all my question. Dr. Noorhan had never said that the time was running out. Because of her knowledge and patience, the picture started to get clearer. By third week, I felt confident. At the end of the module, while doing the assessment 2, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I had learned. Now that I have submitted deliverables for the final assessment, I feel proud that I reached a milestone, a feeling of achievement.”
Current MSc Researchers
- Jarrad Jinks – Intermediate Task Ensembline for Sarcasm Detection
- Mykola Skrynnyk – Exploring the Limits of Transfer Learning for Universal Text Classification
- Cameron Flanagan – Sentiment analysis of COVID 19 Vaccine Brands over the course of the pandemic