Professor Peter Jimack
- Position: Professor of Scientific Computing
- Areas of expertise: scientific computing; numerical algorithms; computational fluid dynamics; finite element methods; partial differential equations; adaptive algorithms; parallel algorithms; multigrid methods.
- Email: P.K.Jimack@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2002
- Location: 3.40d Bragg Building
- Website: School of Computing Website
Peter is Professor of Scientific Computing in the School of Computing. He joint the University in 1990 as a Lecturer in Mathematical Software and has undertaken a wide range of roles during his time at the University, including School Director of Research and Faculty Pro-Dean for Research and Dean of the Facult of Engineering (2010-2019) and interim DVC for Student Education (2020-2021). He has supervised more than 30 graduating PhD students and received research funding from a wide range of sources including EPSRC, industry, EU and charities.
- Director, EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Fluid Dynamics
Peter's general research area is Scientific Computation and he is particularly interested in the design, analysis, implementation and application of numerical algorithms for the reliable and efficient computational solution of partial differential equations (PDEs). The main components in this work include: unstructured finite element methods and algorithms in 2 and 3 space dimensions; analysis and implementation of adaptive methods in space and time; error estimation and control; development of efficient sparse linear algebra and preconditioning techniques; design and analysis of parallel linear algebra and finite element algorithms; multigrid algorithms; applications in computational fluid dynamics (CFD), including both compressible and incompressible flows, Newtonian and non-Newtonian flows and the solution of free boundary problems, and; industrial applications.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- SIAM (Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics)
In session 2020-2021 Peter is module leader for COMP5990M, COMP5991M and COMP5992M, which are Professional/Skills Develpment modules taken by students studying in the EPRSC Centre for Doctoral Training in Fluid Dynamics. He is also module leader for COMP5454M (Fluid Structure Interaction) and XJC3211 (Parallel Computation), which is taught at our Joint School with Southwest Jiaotong University in China.
Research groups and institutes
- Computational Science and Engineering