Professor Dariusz Wanatowski
- Position: Professor of Geomechanics
- Areas of expertise: experimental geomechanics; liquefaction; instability; anisotropy of geomaterials; mining engineering.
- Email: D.Wan@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: SWJTU-Leeds Joint School Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
Dariusz Wanatowski is a Professor of Geomechanics in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Leeds, UK. He is currently based in Soutwest Jiaotong University in Chengdu, China where he serves as the Pro-dean of the SWJTU-Leeds Joint School.
Dariusz graduated with MSc Eng in Civil Engineering from Poznan University of Technology, Poland in 1999. Between 1999 and 2001 he worked as a teaching and research assistant at the same university where he was lecturing soil mechanics and foundation engineering courses. He was also involved in several research projects, including a study of the effects of various improvements of subgrade on its bearing capacity and experimental investigation of engineering properties of various organic soils. He completed his PhD from Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore in 2005. Prior to joining the Nottingham Centre for Geomechanics of the University of Nottingham in February 2006, Dariusz also worked as a post-doctoral researcher at NTU on effects of strength and stiffness anisotropy of geomaterials on the stability and deformation of tunnels. Between February 2006 and January 2013 he worked as a Lecturer and subsequently Associate Professor in Geomechanics in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Nottingham, UK. In January 2013 he was appointed as Head of Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Nottingham Ningbo, China (UNNC). He was appointed as Professor of Geomechanics and the Pro-dean of the SWJTU-Leeds Joint School at the University of Leeds in October 2016.
Professor Wanatowski is the Editor-in-Chief of the Geotechnical Research, the first Gold Open access journal published by the Institution of Civil Engineers in the UK. He is Co-Editor of Geotechnical Engineering, Journal of Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society. Professor Wanatowski serves as a Member of two Technical Committees of International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, TC-208 on Stability of Natural Slopes and TC-303 on Coastal and River Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation.
Professor Dariusz Wanatowski is a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Chartered Scientist (CSci), Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) in the UK.
- Pro-Dean, SWJTU-Leeds Joint School
Professor Wanatowski's general research interests are focused on experimental geomechanics, particularly strain softening and instability behaviour of granular soils, strain localization in sands, strength and stiffness anisotropy of geomaterials, and effects of intermediate principal stress on the strength and deformation characteristics of soils. More recently, he has focused his research interests, on application of soil and rock mechanics principles to mining problems. As a result, he has been working with several European collaborators on mining projects funded by European Commission’s Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- MSc Civil Engineering (Poznan University of Technology, Poland)
- PhD Geotechnical Engineering (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
- PGCert Higher Education (University of Nottingham, UK)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Chartered Scientist (CSci)
- Fellow, Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), UK
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK
- Member, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3), UK
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), US
- Member, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
- Member, British Geotechnical Association (BGA)
- Member, Southeast Asian Geotechnical Society (SEAGS)
Professor Dariusz Wanatowski has extensive experience in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various civil enigneering subjects, in particular soil mechanics, foundation design and engineering materials. He has supervised successfully several BEng, MEng, MSc and PhD students.
Research groups and institutes
- Materials and Structures