Dr Judith Wang
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: transport modelling; transport sustainability and resilience
- Email: J.Y.T.Wang@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3259
- Location: 319 School of Civil Engineering
I am currently Associate Professor in Transport Engineering - Resilient Transportation based in the School of Civil Engineering and Institute for Transport Studies at the University of Leeds in the U.K., specialised in transport modelling. I received my MSc(Eng) in Transport Planning and Engineering from University of Leeds in 1993 and PhD from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2004. My PhD thesis was on ‘Strategic Gaming Analysis of Competitive Transportation Services’.
I have had an over 20-year career in transport planning, with substantial experience not only in academia but also in the transport industry. My work experience in the industry includes one year in Auckland and 12 years in Hong Kong with a number of companies in both the private and public sectors, with eight years specialising in modelling and planning for transportation systems.
Since I arrived in New Zealand in 2004 to take up a lecturer position at the University of Auckland, I have developed a strong research interest in integrating land use, transport, air quality modelling and health impact analysis. In recent years, since I joined the University of Leeds in 2013, I have made significant progress on the theoretical development in multi-objective optimisation and its potential application in comprehensive resilience analysis of transportation systems.
- University of Leeds, School of Civil Engineering & Institute for Transport Studies, Jan 2013 – present, Associate Professor in Resilient Transportation
- The University of Auckland, Department of Engineering Science, New Zealand, Jul 2011 – Apr 2013, Senior Research Fellow
- The University of Auckland Business School, The Energy Centre, New Zealand, Jul 2009 – Jul 2011, Research Fellow
- The University of Auckland, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, New Zealand, Jul 2004 – Jul 2008, Lecturer
- Ecole des Mines de Nantes, Department of Automatic Control and Industrial Engineering, France, Aug 2007 – Dec 2007, Visiting Lecturer
- City University of Hong Kong, Department of Management Science, Hong Kong, 1990 – 1992, Teaching Assistant
- Booz & Company, Auckland, New Zealand, Jul 2008 – Jun 2009, Associate
- Airport Authority Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 1996 – 2001, Operational Research Analyst
- Atkins Haswell Consultants, Hong Kong, 1995 – 1996, Senior Transport Planner
- Mass Transit Railway Corporation, Hong Kong, 1994 – 1995, Management Information Officer
- MVA Asia Limited, Hong Kong, 1993 – 1994, Assistant Transport Planner
- HongkongBank, Group Consulting Services Department, Hong Kong, 1989 – 1990, Senior Methods Analyst, 1988 – 1989, Methods Analyst
- Programme Manager - Civil Engineering with Transport
- Programme Manager - SWJTU-Leeds Joint School Civil Engineering with Transport
- Transportation systems modelling
- Transport sustainability and resilience
- Multicriteria optimisation in transportation networks
- Congestion pricing
- Transport, air quality, health and resilience
- PhD in Civil Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
- MSc(Eng) in Transport Planning and Engineering, University of Leeds, U.K.
- BA(Hons) in Quantitative Analysis for Business, City University of Hong Kong
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in the U.K.
I teach in the following areas:
- Transport Planning and Modelling
- Transport Engineering
Research groups and institutes
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Energy and Sustainable Buildings