Professor Nigel Smith
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: management of transport infrastructure; risk management; project management, public-private-partnerships; funding for transport; highway maintenance
- Email: N.J.Smith@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2301
- Location: 415 School of Civil Engineering
Nigel J. Smith is Professor of Project and Transport Infrastructure Management, member of the Institute for Resilient Infrastructure and Head of Project Management Group, at the School of Civil Engineering, University of Leeds. After graduating from the University of Birmingham, he gained practical experience with contractors before joining the Department of Transport. Since returning to academia he has researched, published and presented widely in the field of infrastructure management. He has been co-author of key reports on European Highways for OECD and on Financial Instruments for Transport Infrastructure for the European parliament and the World Bank.Since 2018 he has been part-time retired.
- Head of Project Management Group
- 2004-2007 EPSRC PI. FIDIC Network of Expert Users. Jointly with Universities of Reading and Wolverhampton.
- 2009 Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport, Political Risk in LTR projects, with Dr Mark Gannon, University of Surrey Management School, £40k.
- 2009 – 2013 Co-Investigator: EPSRC Future Energy Decision Making for Cities – Can complexity science rise to the challenge? PI Professor William Gale SPEME in conjunction with University of Nottingham, EP/GO59780/1, £1.1m.
- 2012 Smith, N J, Bain R, van Essen, H, 2012 Sub-contract to University of Delft for European Parliament Report for Directorate General for Internal Policies, Policy Department B: Structural and Cohesion Policies, Transport and Tourism, Financing instruments for the EU’s transport infrastructure, €70k.
- 2013 National Audit Office: Maintaining strategic infrastructure (UK highway maintenance)
- 2020 CREDS Decarbonisation of structure steelwork. Lead by Professor Bill Gale, University of Leeds
- BSc Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham
- MSc Civil Engineering by Research, UMIST
- PhD, UMIST
- CEng, Chartered Engineer
- Module Leader for CIVE 5231 MSc/MEng Funding for Projects