Dr. Bruno Fernandes
- Position: Research Fellow in Durability of Circular Concrete
- Areas of expertise: concrete; durability; high-temperature behaviour; recycled concrete aggregates; strengthening of structures
- Email: B.Fernandes@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.11 Civil Engineering
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Research Fellow in the School of Civil Engineering. I am working on the Interdisciplinary Circular Economy Centre for Mineral-Based Construction Materials (ICEC-MCM) with Professors Leon Black and Susan A. Bernal. Our project within the centre aims to engineer concretes based on sustainable resources (recycled concrete aggregates and/or novel SCM) with excellent long-term durability and potential for circularity.
Before joining the University of Leeds, I completed my PhD at the Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France, 2022), working with the high-temperature behaviour of concrete made with recycled concrete aggregates. My work addressed several aspects of the elevated temperature behaviour of concrete made with RCA, from mechanical properties to post-heating durability. I also hold a Master's degree in Structures and Geotechnics from Unicamp (Brazil, 2018), where I investigated the fire behaviour of concrete structures strengthened with NSM CFRP. Lastly, I have a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from Unisinos (Brazil, 2016).
My specific research interests centres on:
- concrete durability
- high high-temperatureviour of materials and structures
- use of alternative materials in concrete
- repair and strengthening of structures.
- PhD in Civil Engineering (Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, France, 2022)
- MSc in Civil Engineering (Universidade Estadual de Campinas, 2018)
- BS in Civil Engineering (Universidade do Vale do Rio do Sinos, 2016)
Research groups and institutes
- Materials and Structures