Dr Mohsen Besharat
- Position: Lecturer (Assistant Professor)
- Areas of expertise: Two-phase transient flow; Operational problems linked to two-phase flow interactions; Energy storage solutions in water infrastructures; Compressed air energy storage
- Email: M.Besharat@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 4.26 Civil Engineering (Building 49)
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Lecturer in Hydraulics and Water Systems at the School of Civil Engineering. My background comprises different roles and experiences in industrial design tasks, research projects, administration duties and teaching. I have contributed to various European research projects including HYLOW European project in 2013 and the REDAWN European project in 2016. I am a member of the Task Committee at the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), where I am contributing to authoring a monograph on practical issues in urban water infrastructure arising from two-phase transient situations (see more details here).
- Curriculum Redefined Lecturer
My current research interests are linked to two-phase pressurised flows. I am interested in the application of different numerical models (Elastic, Rigid, CFD, etc) in simulations of adverse transient effects as well as gas and liquid interactions. I am also interested in studying protective devices for liquid pipelines such as air valves and air vessels.
In addition to that, I am keen on improving the sustainability of water infrastructure through improving efficiency or offering new energy solutions. In that sense, I am working on micro energy storage solutions following compressed air energy storage (CAES) concepts.
I am a guest editor in a special issue at Sustainability, MDPI to collect quality research related to water infrastructure with the objectives of improving sustainablity and achieving net-zero (see the special issue here).
Another area that I am keen on exploring is related to pedagogic research to spot, highlight and disseminate valuable practices in improving students’ learning.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR)
Research groups and institutes
- Water, Public Health and Environmental Engineering
- Sustainable and resilient infrastructure
- Cities, Infrastructure and Energy