My research area is focus on improving the knowledge surrounding luxury phosphorus uptake by microalgae, in order to explore its potential application in wastewater treatment:
- Contribute to the knowledge of phosphorus regulation mechanisms by the green microalgae Chlamydomonas reinhardtii .
- Effects of environmental factors microalgal growth and phosphorus location and accumulation within the cells.
- Luxury phosphorus uptake performance under temperate and tropical climate conditions for microalgae-based wastewater treatment (MBWT).
- Potential of microalgal biomass produced from MBWT as biofertilizer, as a means to close the broken phosphorus cycle and mitigate its effects on our environment and society (following a circular economy philosophy).
- Assess the socioeconomical impacts of this application (4.) on energy monocrops in developing countries.
- MSc in Environmental engineering (Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia)
- Bs in Environmental engineering (Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia)
Research groups and institutes
- Water, Public Health and Environmental Engineering