Professor Dugald Macpherson
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: model theory; stability theory; o-minimal; valued field; group theory; pseudofinite; infinite permutation group; homogeneous structure.
- Email: H.D.MacPherson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5166
- Location: Mathematics 10.17g School of Mathematics
- Website: Personal home page | ORCID
I work in model theory (mathematical logic) and adjacent areas of permutation group theory and combinatorics. Particular interests include the following:
- Model theory of valued fields, from the viewpoint of generalised stability theory -- issues around definability in henselian fields.
- Generalisations of o-minimality (structure theory arising from restrictions on one-variable definable sets).
- Model theory of finite and pseudofinite structures -- for example, model-theoretic consequences of asymptotic uniformities on sizes of definable sets.
- Model theory of groups -- e.g. groups in stable and simple theories, model theory of finite groups.
- Abstract model theory -- generalisations of stability, connections to combinatorial conditions such as Vapnik-Chervonenkis density.
- Infinite permutation groups -- often arising as automorphism groups of first order structures.
- Homogeneous structures in the sense of Fraisse, and omega-categoricity. There are connections to permutation groups and combinatorics, and more recent connections to Ramsey theory, topological dynamics, and constraint satisfaction.
- D.Phil, (Oxford University), 1983
- London Mathematical Society
- British Logic Colloquium
- European Mathematical Society
Research groups and institutes
- Pure Mathematics
Current postgraduate researchers
- Bea Adam-Day
- Francesco Gallinaro
- Rory Ainslie
- Nick Clare
- Pietro Freni
- Aris Papadopoulos
- Tommy Bernert
- Calliope Ryan-Smith