Dr Jung-uk Shim
- Position: Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: microfluidics
- Email: J.Shim@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3903
- Location: Room 8.40 EC Stoner
08/2013 – present University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. Lecturer in School of Physics and Astronomy
06/2012 – 07/2013 University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK PDRA
02/2007 – 05/2012 University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK. Research fellow
10/2003 – 09/2005 Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA. Visiting researcher
09/2002 – 02/2007 Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA. Research Assistance
02/1994 – 08/2001 Samsung Electronics, South Korea. Senior Researching Engineer
- Study Abrod Coordinator
- Impact Committee
I am interested in studying biological systems ranging from cells to molecules using microfluidics that facilitate the quantitative study of biological systems. We are developing microfluidc platforms able to (1) study neural networks in C.elegans, (2) identify the presence of diseases significantly more sensitively, (3) analyse molecular structure of protein at single molecule level for directed evolution and (4) study atmospheric ice-nucleation particle (INP).
Current major projects include:
- Single animal study
- Microfluidic biodiagnostics
- Quantification of INP
- Single protein molecule biophysics
- Microfluidic droplets for synthetic biology
- PhD, Physics, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA
- MSc, Physics, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
- BSc, Physics, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- I have been acting as a main instructor for two modules and an assistant instructor for three modules.
- I have been (co)-supervising four PhD students and a few BSc/MPhys students.
- I am a study abroad coordinator in Physics.