Dr Almut Beige
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: quantum optics; quantum photonics; quantum technologies
- Email: A.Beige@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3899
- Location: 9.72 E C Stoner Building
- Website: Personal webpage | Googlescholar | Researchgate
Since completing my PhD at the University of Goettingen in Germany, I have been fascinated with the often very strange implications of quantum physics. Already in 2000, we proposed to use such implications to design more efficient quantum computing schemes in open quantum systems. Some of our ideas have already been implemented in the laboratory. More recently, my group became fascinated with quantum photonics and now tries to better understand different ways of seeing light.
- Head of the Theoretical Physics Group
- Locally-acting mirror Hamiltonians,
J. Southall, R. Purdy and A. Beige, submitted. arXiv:1908.07597.
- Quantum jump metrology,
L. A. Clark, A. Stokes and A. Beige, Phys. Rev. A 99, 022102 (2019). arXiv:1811.01004.
- Using thermodynamics to identify quantum subsystems,
A. Stokes, P. Deb and A. Beige, J. Mod. Opt. 64, S7 (2017). arXiv:1602.04037.
- A physically-motivated quantisation of the electromagnetic field,
R. Bennett, T. M. Barlow, and A. Beige, Eur. J. Phys. 37, 014001 (2016). arXiv:1506.03305.
- Extending the validity range of quantum optical master equations,
A. Stokes, A. Kurcz, T. P. Spiller, and A. Beige, Phys. Rev. A 85, 053805 (2012). arXiv:1111.7206.
- Hidden Quantum Markov Models and non-adaptive read-out of many-body quantum states,
A. Monras, A. Beige and K. Wiesner, Appl. Math. and Comp. Sciences 3, 93 (2011). arXiv:1002.2337.
- Robust entanglement through macroscopic quantum jumps,
J. Metz, M. Trupke, and A. Beige, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 040503 (2006). arXiv:0510051.
- Repeat-until-success linear optics distributed quantum computing,
Y. L. Lim, A. Beige, and L. C. Kwek, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 030505 (2005). quant-ph/0408043.
- Quantum computing using dissipation to remain in a decoherence-free subspace,
A. Beige, D. Braun, B. Tregenna, and P. L. Knight, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 1762 (2000). quant-ph/0004043.
- Projection postulate and atomic quantum Zeno effect,
A. Beige and G. C. Hegerfeldt, Phys. Rev. A 53, 53 (1996). quant-ph/9512012.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Fellow of the IoP
Research groups and institutes
- Theoretical Physics