Dr Steve Fitzgerald
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: crystal defects; dislocations; elasticity; stochastic differential equations
- Email: S.P.Fitzgerald@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4331
- Location: 8.37 Maths/Earth & Environment
- Website: Googlescholar
My research interests lie in the structure and dynamics of crystal defects, the mathematics and physics used to model them, and their effects on the properties of the materials that contain them.
Even everyday materials such as steel lack a full quantitative understanding, and my work involves developing mathematical models and computer simulations aiming to provide this. I focus on bridging the gap in scales between the atomic (where accurate computer simulations can be performed, but require so much computer power that only a few cubic nanometres can be simulated for a few nanoseconds) and the engineering design scale relevant for technological applications.
- Director of Research and Innovation
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority
Research groups and institutes
- Applied Mathematics
- Complex materials and industrial maths