Dr Syed Ali Raza Zaidi
- Position: Associate professor
- Areas of expertise: wireless communication networks; robotics and autonomous systems; embedded systems design; complex systems and spatio-temporal models; stochastic geometry; random graph theory; resource allocation
- Email: S.A.Zaidi@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.70 School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Website: Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
I joined the University of Leeds as University Academic Fellow (Assistant Professor for US folks) under the 250 Great Mind Initiative. My research interests are in the area of Communication and Networking for IoT, Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Previously I worked on the US Army Research Lab (ARL) funded project: `Cognitive Green Wireless Communication- A Network Science Perspective’. I received my B.Eng degree in information and communication system engineering from the School of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, NUST, Pakistan in 2008. I was awarded the NUST’s most prestigious Rector’s gold medal for my final year project on Analysis of Forward Error Correction Schemes over Wireless Channels with Memory under the supervision of Dr Syed Ali Khayam.
From September 2007 till August 2008, I served as a Research Assistant in Wireless Sensor Network Lab on a collaborative research project between NUST, Pakistan and Ajou University, South Korea. In 2008, I was awarded an overseas research student (ORS) scholarship along with Tetley Lupton and Excellence Scholarships to pursue my PhD at the School of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, University of Leeds, U.K. I was also awarded COST IC0902, DAAD and Royal Academy of Engineering grants to promote my research.
I was a visiting research scientist at Qatar Innovations and Mobility Center from October to December 2013. I have served as an invited reviewer for IEEE flagship journals and conferences. Over the past few years, I have served as TPC Member for IEEE WCNC, IEEE VTC, IEEE Globecom, IEEE ICC. My research is focused on design analysis and implementation of large scale ad-hoc wireless networks by employing tools from stochastic geometry and random graph theory. I am also an embedded system and programming enthusiast with several international certifications from Microsoft, IBM and Sun Microsystems.
- Associate Technical Editor for IEEE Communication Magazine
- Editor for IEEE Communication Letters
- Member IEEE
- Affiliate Member IEEE Signal Processing Society
- General Secretary IEEE TCNBC
- Member Internet Society
- Member IETF
- Junior Member Isaac Newton Institute
- Eurasip Local Laision for UK
Research groups and institutes
- Energy Leeds
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Institute of Robotics, Autonomous Systems and Sensing