Dr Craig A. Evans
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: digital education, digital electronics; embedded systems; quantum electronics; optoelectronics.
- Email: C.A.Evans@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4557
- Location: 1.65 School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Website: LinkedIn
- 2009 - present | Teaching Fellow/Senior Teaching Fellow/Associate Professsor | School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering | University of Leeds.
- 2007 - 2009 | Postdoctoral Research Assistant, "Nano- and Micro-scale Integration of Glass-on-Semiconductor for Photonic Components Engineering" | Institute of Microwave & Photonics | School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering | University of Leeds.
- 2004 - 2007 | PhD, "The optical and thermal properties of quantum cascade lasers" | School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering | University of Leeds.
- 2000 - 2004 | MEng/BEng, Electronic & Photonic Communications | School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering | University of Leeds.
- Director of Student Education
- PhD, Quantum Electronics, University of Leeds
- MEng/BEng, Electronic & Photonic Communications, University of Leeds
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy)
- MIET (Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology)
I am currently the Director of Student Education in the School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering.
Teaching Enhancement Project
During 2019, I was on a part-time secondment to the Leeds Institute of Teaching Excellence (LITE), co-leading a Teaching Enhancement Project with Dr Sam Wilson from the School of Computing. We developed an automated assessment and feedback platform that can be used in computer programming and simulation classes.
Teaching and Project Supervision Responsibilities
I teach undergradute modules covering digital electronics, microcontrollers, microprocessors and embedded systems. Additionally I usually supervise both undergraduate and taught postgraduate projects.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AdvanceHE) and mentor colleagues through the process as part of the University of Leeds PRiSE (Professional Recognition in Student Education) and PGCAP (Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice) schemes. I have presented my work on digital education, blended learning and project-based learning at several conferences including the HEA STEM Conference 2018 and regularly contribute to the annual Leeds Student Education Conference (SEC).
I am a founding member of the Teaching and Learning Enhancement NeTwork (TALENT). This is a cross-Faculty network of staff wishing to share and develop learning and teaching practice across the Faculty and support career development. From a small group of passionate colleagues, we have grown to a network of over 100 academics and support staff and have run many practice sharing and training events. Our work was vital in the pivot to online delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic and was recognised by winning a University of Leeds Teaching Award in 2021 for Collaborative Excellence.
I sit on the Steering Commitee for the Institute of Robotics, Autonomous Systems & Sensing (IRASS) with a responsibility for outreach and run events aimed at encouraging young people into engineering and robotics (e.g. Leeds Festival of Science).
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Robotics, Autonomous Systems and Sensing