Dr Tim Amsdon
- Position: Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Free-space optical communications (VLC), RF and microwave engineering, broadcast video systems.
- Email: T.J.Amsdon@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4800
- Location: Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Website: My Other Personal Site | LinkedIn | Researchgate
Tim joined the School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Leeds as a Teaching Fellow in 2017, and spends most of his time teaching at the SWJTU-Leeds Joint School in Xipu, China. Tim teaches a wide range of subjects, specifically, communications networks and systems, digital electronics, embedded systems, high frequency electronics and RF and microwave engineering, using predominantly blended-learning and project-based teaching techniques.
Prior to working at Leeds, Tim spent 4 years at the University of Huddersfield as Head of Engineering at the International Study Centre, and also spent 16 years in industry working in consumer OEM, semiconductor, and space and defence sectors. Tim has held positions at principal engineering and management levels, and gained extensive international experience, having lived and worked in the US, Germany, South Korea, and China.
During his time in industry, Tim worked on the design and development of R.F. and microwave products, with specialisation in broadcast video systems. Specifically, Tim worked at the forefront of broadcast receiver technology, having designed and developed numerous broadcast receiver systems for global TV and set-top-box manufacturers.
Tim is registered with the UK Engineering Council as Chartered Engineer, and is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology, a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Tim holds a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering and a PhD in visible light communications from the University of Huddersfield.
Tim is interested in visible light communications and brain-computer interfacing.
- Teaching at the Leeds-SWJTU Joint School
VLC, RF and microwave engineering, broadcast video systems, BCI.
- BEng(Hons) Electronic Engineering
- PhD in Visible Light Communications
- UK Chartered Engineer (CEng) registered with the Engineering Council (CE)
- Fellow of the UK Institution of Engineering and Technology (FIET)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Senior Member of the US Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (SMIEEE)
Tim has experience delivering the following modules at SWJTU-Leeds Joint School:
- Level 1: XJEL1405 Communications Networks and signals, XJEL1420 Communications Systems, XJEL1620 Digital Electronics and Microcontrollers, XJEL1900 Physical Electronics 1
- Level 2: XJEL2140 High Frequency Electronics, XJEL2645 Embedded Systems Project
- Level 3: XJEL3360 RF and Microwave Engineering
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Robotics, Autonomous Systems and Sensing