- Position: Research Associate
- Areas of expertise: Chemistry; Chemical Engineering; Process Analytical Technology; 3D Printing; Additive Manufacturing; Catalysis; Organic Chemistry; Inorganic Chemistry
- Email: A.R.Baker@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9068
- Location: GM.60 School of Chemical and Process Engineering (SCAPE)
- Website: My Personal Site | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
Alastair is a Research Fellow investigating the effect of solids on extraction stage efficiencies in centrifugal contactors in the Nuclear.Leeds group. The work to be undertaken is commissioning a pilot scale reactor with centrifugal contactors, then conducting trials on the effects of solids on extraction, simulating the extraction of uranium from spent nuclear fuel (SNF).
Alastair has worked on a UK Catalysis Hub collaborative project between the GlaxoSmithKline Carbon Neutral Laboratory for Sustainable Chemistry (University of Nottingham) and the Institute of Process Research and Development (iPRD, Leeds). The project investigated homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts for the valorization of feedstock ethanol and construction of a multifunctional flow platform for high throughput screening. The automated continuous high temperature and pressure (High T/p) reactor with at-line GC with feedback loop is still operating in the iPRD performing Design of Experiments (DoE) and self-optimising reactions.
Previously he received his Ph.D. in 2016 from Prifysgol Caerdydd/ Cardiff University completing his thesis in developing continuous flow reactors for the continuous synthesis of garlic metabolites, on a joint funded SME Industrial CASE award from Neem Biotech and the Welsh Assembly Government. He also has expertise in and synchrotron techniques performed at European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), as well as synthesis, natural product isolation and characterization, 3D printing and rapid prototyping.
- Continuous Flow Chemistry
- Telescoped Synthesis (sequential flow reactions)
- Process development
- Multi-component reactions
- Organic synthesis
- 3D printing
- Ph. D. (2016)
- MChem (2011)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC) (Member)
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (AMIChemE) (Associate Member)
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (Affiliate Member)
Research groups and institutes
- Energy Leeds
- Institute of Process Research and Development
- Nuclear Leeds