Dr Maria Vittoria Guarino
I study the atmosphere (lower- and upper- layers) and the coupled atmosphere-ice-ocean system by the mean of numerical models. I am particularly interested in (and I have published about) atmospheric gravity waves propagation and breaking, and large-scale coupling between the atmosphere and the ocean.
I am currently working on the WAVECHASM project. I look at how gravity waves generated in the lower layers of the atmosphere propagate upwards, up to ~120km above the ground, and influence the chemical and dynamical structure of the Mesosphere and Lower Thermosphere.
- PhD in Atmosphere, Oceans and Climate, University of Reading, GB, 2017
- MSc in Environmental Science, Università del Salento, Lecce, IT, 2013
- BSc in Environmental Science, Università del Salento, Lecce, IT, 2011
- Honorary Fellow at the British Antarctic Survey
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
Research groups and institutes
- Atmospheric and Planetary Chemistry