Dr Herodotos Phylaktou
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: fire dynamics, fire toxicity, fire resistance, fire protection, fire investigation, gas explosions, explosion protection, explosion investigation, turbulent combustion, hydrogen & biomass combustion.
- Email: H.N.Phylaktou@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2505
- Location: 104 Energy Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
I am Director of the Postgraduate Masters programme in Fire and Explosion Engineering at Leeds University. I manage the operation of the MSc, manage changes to the curriculum, teach on the main programme modules,supervise the Design Projects and many of the Research projects. I carry out research, manage lab facilities and supervise PhD students in the areas of
- dynamics of fire development in compartments (including CFD)
- toxic emissions from fires
- dynamics of explosion development in confined and congested volumes
- combustion systems - currently working on biomass combustion systems and emissions.
- hydrogen combustion and safety
- fire and explosion investigation
I also work with industry on the design of fire and explosion safety systems and combustion systems. I investigate fire and explosion accidents and act as an Expert Witness. Currently providing expert support to CPS and Metropolitan police on the Grenfell fire investigation.
- Director of MSc in Fire Explosion Engineering
Current active research
- Hydrogen combustion and safety
- toxic emissions and particulates from fires
- Fire and Explosion Engineering
- Biomass and Torrefied Biomass Flame Propagation and Gasification Burners
- United Kingdom Explosion Liaison Group (Committee)
- International Association for Fire Safety Science
I currently contribute to the following modules at MSc level:
- Fire dynamics and modelling
- Fire and explosion investigation
- Fire safety design
- Explosion prediction and mitigation.
Research groups and institutes
- Clean Combustion