Dr Herodotos Phylaktou
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: Fire & explosion hazards, fire dynamics & toxicity, fire resistance, gas & dust explosions, fire & explosion protection, fire & explosion investigation, turbulent combustion, hydrogen combustion.
- Email: H.N.Phylaktou@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2505
- Location: 104 Energy Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
I’m the organiser and Director of two annual CPD courses in Fire Dynamics and Fire Safety Design.I was the Director of the Postgraduate Masters programme in Fire and Explosion Engineering at Leeds University, no longer running (1998 -2020).
I carry out research, manage lab facilities and supervise PhD students in the areas of
- dynamics of fire development in compartments (including CFD)
- toxic emissions from fires
- dynamics of explosion development in confined and congested volumes
- combustion systems - currently working on biomass combustion systems and emissions.
- hydrogen combustion and safety
- fire and explosion investigation
I also work with industry on the design of fire and explosion safety systems and combustion systems. I investigate fire and explosion accidents and act as an Expert Witness. Currently providing expert support to CPS and Metropolitan police on the Grenfell fire investigation.
Current active research
- Hydrogen combustion and safety
- toxic emissions and particulates from fires
- Fire and Explosion Engineering
- Biomass and Torrefied Biomass Flame Propagation and Gasification Burners
- United Kingdom Explosion Liaison Group (Committee)
- International Association for Fire Safety Science
- member of the Academic Leadership Council, Society of Fire Protection Engineers
I currently contribute to the following modules at UG & MSc levels and CPD:
- Heat Transfer
- Fire dynamics and modelling
- Fire safety design
Research groups and institutes
- Clean Combustion