Dr Catherine (Frin) Bale
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: energy in cities; energy policy; local authorities; heat networks; local energy infrastructure; complexity science; agent-based modelling.
- Email: C.S.E.Bale@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8250
- Location: 10.28 Priestley Building
- Website: Urban heat systems | Twitter | Googlescholar
In 2015 Catherine was appointed as a University Academic Fellow in Sustainable Energy Systems as part of the university's 250 Great Minds scheme, and in 2018 wasa promoted to Associate Professor. She is an interdisciplinary academic working on aspects of energy transtisions across the disciplines of engineering, economics and social science and is jointly appointed by the School of Chemical and Process Engineering and the School of Earth and Environment (where she is a member of the Sustainably Research Institute).
Catherine is a physical scientist by training and holds an MChem (2001), and DPhil in Atmospheric Chemistry (2005), from the University of Oxford. In addition she has has studied complex systems at the prestigious Santa Fe Institute (2014), and completed Masters-level courses at SOAS in environmental economics and policy. She worked for two years at the public-private sector interface on energy sector strategy in a regional development agency. Since 2010 she has been an academic at Leeds.
Currently Catherine is working on a five-year EPSRC funded early-career fellowship on urban heat systems.
She has worked extensively with local, national and international partners including Leeds City Council, the Climate Change Commitee, and the International Energy Agency.
My research interests are centred on:
- Energy Infrastructure in cities
- Reducing heat demand in cities
The application of complexity science modelling methods to energy challenges at the technology-policy Interface
- The delivery of national energy policy at the local level and the role of local authorities in city-level energy decision-making
- Participatory modelling approaches to support energy decision-making
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Section Editor at PLOS Sustainability and Transformation
I contribute to teaching in the School of Chemical and Process Engineering and also the School of Earth and Environment, on topics such as air quality, renewable energy, energy systems and policy.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Integrated Energy Research
- Energy Leeds
- Sustainable Low Carbon Futures