Professor Andy Brown
- Position: Professor of Materials Characterisation
- Areas of expertise: electron microscopy; materials; nanoparticles, organic compounds
- Email: A.P.Brown@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2382
- Location: 128 Engineering Building
- Website: Googlescholar
Dr Brown has completed a degree in Physics and a PhD in Geophysics (fine particle magnetism). He has since developed considerable experience in the application of analytical transmission electron microscopy to the characterization of materials and in particular nanoparticles. He has held an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship and spent time working in the semiconductor industry.
Dr Brown’s current research focuses on technique development for the accurate and representative characterization of nanoparticle systems and organic compounds. This is primarily in the area of analytical electron microscopy, where he is developing specific sample preparation, imaging and elemental analysis methods for assessment of engineered nanomaterials.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Member of the Institute of Physics, CPhys
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society
Dr Brown is involved in teaching Materials to first and second year Chemical Engineering undergraduates and also teaches Reverse Engineering of Complex Particulate Products to final year and taught postgraduate students.
Research groups and institutes
- Complex Systems and Processes
- Functional Materials
- Industrial Biotechnology and Bio-waste