Dr Aidan Westwood
- Position: Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: science and technology of advanced carbon; carbon-based (nano) materials and precursors
- Email: A.V.K.Westwood@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2555
- Location: 142 Engineering Building
My research focuses on the Science and Technology of Advanced Carbon / Carbon-based (Nano)Materials and Precursors. Current research interests include:
- Nano carbon/polymer composites for thermal management applications in electronics
- Carbon nanomaterials and templated (nano)carbides
- Characterisation of structural changes caused by radiation damage in nuclear graphites (Dr. Westwood is a member of Nuclear Leeds).
- Spinning, processing and characterisation of carbon fibres
- Highly oriented/high thermal conductivity liquid crystalline mesophase pitch-based carbon/graphite tapes and their carbon-carbon composites
- Activation, functionalisation and microporous structure of carbons for environmental remediation.
Current/recent research sponsors include EPSRC, European Commission (Research Fund for Coal and Steel), Wuhan Iron and Steel Co. (China) and Morgan Advanced Materials and Technology (Swansea).
- BSc (Hons.), Chemistry, University of Liverpool
- PhD, Inorganic Chemistry, University of Liverpool
- Chartered Chemist
- Chartered Scientist
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
I contribute to teaching on undergraduate and taught postgraduate modules within the School of Chemical and Process Engineering, focusing mainly on Materials Science and Nanomaterials.
Research groups and institutes
- Nuclear Leeds
- Clean Combustion
- Functional Materials
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/411-towards-production-of-bulk-phase,-rare-earth-free-magnets">Towards Production of Bulk Phase, Rare Earth-Free Magnets</a></li>