Dr Malcolm Lawes
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: Laminar and combustion; gas, droplet and powder; experimental, laser diagnostics
- Email: M.Lawes@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2108
- Location: 328 School of Mechanical Engineering
- Examinations Officer
Research interests are directed towards developing a fundamental understanding of Combustion. Present activities include laminar and turbulent studies of combustion and utilise several unique combustion vessels which have exceptional optical access for the use of sophisticated laser diagnostic techniques to provide data that cannot be obtained elswhere. My research can be divided, approximately, into four areas:
1) Influences of stretch and turbulence upon burning rates and flame instabilities. This is fundamental to the modelling of engine combustion and explosion hazards. Existing data are sparse and inconsistent, particularly at engine combustion conditions
2) Combustion in aerosols and sprays. This is a natural progression from activities described above. It is of great practical importance in gas turbines, diesel and spark ignition engines and furnaces.
3) Laser diagnostics. These are essential to the success of many of my research activities. Techniques include LDV, PIV, Laser sheet imaging (Time resolved 2 and 3 dimensional).
- BSc, PhD, Leeds
- Membership of the Combustion Institute
Research groups and institutes
- Clean Combustion
- Institute of Thermofluids