Professor Duncan Dowson
- Position: Research Professor
- Areas of expertise: tribology; bio-tribology
- Email: D.Dowson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2153
- Location: 246 School of Mechanical Engineering
- C.B.E., FRS, FREng, BSc, PhD, DSc
- Royal Academy of Engineering - Engineering Committee-(1988-1991); Chairman, Engineering in Medicine Working Party (1988-1900); Chairman, ‘Focus’ for Biomedical Engineering (1993-1995).
- I.Mech.E. - Honorary Fellow; President I.Mech.E. (1992-1993);
- Editor - I.Mech.E. Proceedings, Part ‘C’, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science; Former Editor, Part ‘H’, Journal of Engineering in Medicine (1980-1993).
- Editor of WEAR (1983-1998) - now Emeritus editor; Elsevier Tribology Book Series; I.Mech.E. Engineering Research Book Series (1999-2005).
- Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine - Honorary Fellowship (1998).
- University of Leeds - Head of Department of Mechanical Engineering-(1987-1992); Pro-Vice Chancellor-(1983-1985); Director-Institute of Tribology-1967-1987); Founding Co-Chairman-Bio-Engineering Group for the Study of Human Joints-(1971) and the Centre of Studies for medical Engineering-(1971-1973); Member of Court-(2002-2009).
- Member of Editorial Boards of 6 Journals.
- A.S.M.E. - Life Fellow.
- STLE - Honorary Fellow.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Science - Foreign Member (1986).
- Royal Society of Arts - Fellow; Chairman Yorkshire Region (1992-1997).
- City & Guilds of London Institute - Fellow (1997).
- I.Mech.E - Clayton Fund prize (1964); Thomas hawksley Gold Medal (1966); James Clayton prize (1979); Tribology Gold Medal (1979); James Clayton memorial lecture-(2000); 150th. Anniversary Gold medal-(2000); James Watt International Gold Medal-(2001); Water Arbitration prize-(2004).
- I.Civil.Eng. – James Alfred medal-(1988); James Forrest Lecturer-(1991); Kelvin Medal-1998).
- ASME - Best paper Awards-(1975;1976; 1999); Melville Medal-(1976); Mayo D. Heresy award-(1979); Engineer Historian award-(1995); Thurston Lecturer-(1998); R.H Thurston Award-(2000).
- University of Gent - Sarton Medallist-(1998)
- ASLE - National Award-(1974).
- British Sciety of Rheology – Gold medal-(1969).
- Royal Academy of Engineering - Hinton lecturer (1990).
- Honorary Degrees - D.Sc. (Chalmers-1979); Docteur (INSA-Lyon-1991); D.Sc-Liege-1995); D.Eng.-(Waterloo-2001); D.Eng.- (Bradford-2002); D.Eng-(Leeds-2003); D.Sc.-(Loughborough-2005).
- Tribology: Elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication, wear, gears, bearings.
- Bio-tribology: Lubrication of natural synovial joints, lubrication and wear of total joint replacements, design and development of total joint replacements, tribology of biological systems.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Thermofluids