Dr Ali Gooya
- Position: Lecturer in Computer Science
- Areas of expertise: Deep Learning; Machine Learning; Probabilistic Graphical Models; Medical Image Computing; Population Imaging; Shape Analysis
- Email: A.Gooya@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1949
- Location: 6.03 E C Stoner Building
- Website: My Personal Site | Googlescholar | Researchgate
I joined the University of Leeds as a Lecturer in the September 2018. I obtained an MSc in Bioelectric Engineering from Tehran University and a PhD in Information Science from the University of Tokyo, supported by a Japanese Monbusho scholarship. In 2008, I was awarded a post-doctoral fellowship by Japan Society of Promotion of Science and shortly after, I moved to the University of Pennsylvania, USA, and worked on tumor image analysis till 2011. Subsequently, I served as an Assistant Professor at Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran. In 2014, I was awarded an IIF Marie-Curie Fellowship for statistical modeling of morphology and function of the heart in the University of Sheffield, where I was promoted to a Lecturer in the department of EEE prior to joining Leeds.
My research interest includes probabilistic machine and deep learning, variational Bayesian inference, graphical models, and medical image computing. I have a particular expertise in population imaging studies, generative models for shape and motion atlases, and computational tumor image analysis.
Software and Tools - I have developed multiple tools that are available for free academic use. If you use them, please cite the corresponding references. I would be very thankful!
- GLISTR: Glioma Image Segmentation and Registration, Model Personalization (IEEE TMI, 2012)
- Variational Bayesian Mixture of Probabilistic PCA for Shapes from Point Sets (IEEE TPAMI, 2018)
- Group Wise Point Set Registration and Statistical Shape Modeling (SIAM, 2015)
- BSc (University of Science and Technology, Iran)
- MSc (University of Tehran, Iran)
- PhD (University of Tokyo, Japan)
- PGCert (University of Sheffield, UK)
- Member, IEEE
- Marie-Curie IIF Research Fellow (Alumni)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member, MICCAI Society
I will be focusing on Machine Learning and Artifical Intelligence.
Research groups and institutes
- Computational Medicine