Dr. Shoma Kitayama
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Structural engineering; Earthquake engineering; Architectural engineering
- Email: S.Kitayama@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate
I am a Research Fellow in the School of Civil Engineering at the University of Leeds. I am working on a research project in the Interdisciplinary Circular Economy Centre for Mineral-Based Construction Materials (ICEC-MCM) on the development of demountable and reusable exterior lightweight infill walls with Dr Ornella Iuorio and Dr Leon Black (both at the University of Leeds).
I received my PhD in 2017 in Civil engineering from the State University of New York at Buffalo in the United States after obtaining my Master's and Bachelor's degrees in Architectural engineering from Hokkaido University in Japan.
I worked as a Post-doctoral Associate at the State University of New York at Buffalo from September 2017 to April 2021. I moved to Leeds on April 2021 to work as a Research Fellow.
- Resilient infrastructure systems
- Performance-based structural design
- Structural testing to understand structural behaviour
- Data analytics to advance structural design
- Design for deconstruction (demountable and reusable structures)
- Circular economy
- Lifecycle assessment
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://eps.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Ph.D. (State University of New York at Buffalo)
- M.Eng. (Hokkaido University)
- B.Eng. (Hokkaido University)
Undergraduate research project supervision